Various optics are widely used in outdoor activities. In most cases, the goal is to bring faraway objects into closer view and let you see more detail. This is the case with binoculars and spotting scopes. Optical sights are also used by hunters to aid aiming during long distance shots. Range finders are used in both hunting as well as numerous sports.
Probably the most common and widely used outdoors optical instrument is the binocular. Most binoculars are portable and provide a decent magnification of distant objects. The main advantage of binoculars is that unlike most optics, they allow you to use both eyes, which is more natural and convenient, plus gives you some depth perception.
Monoculars are basically half a binocular. They are even smaller and lighter, but obviously don’t give you any stereoscopic vision.
Spotting scopes and telescopes are typically mounted on a support such as a tripod and have more magnification to look at objects even further away, or at dim objects, such as celestial bodies.
Laser range finder are very useful devices with a number of specialized applications. Having a precise measure of distance to something far away is important in sports such as golf, as well as archery and shooting.
- Athlon Optics Binoculars: Review for 2018We analyse the line-up of binoculars by Athlon Optics and review all their various aspects. In this article, we also provide some tips for buying the best binocular for your purpose.
- Reviews of the Top Spotting Scopes for Wildlife ViewingSpotting scopes are indispensable tools for observing animals and birds in the wild. We have a look at what you need to know when buying one and list some of the top options on the market right now.
- Reviews of the Best 8X42 Binoculars on the Market / Tips for BuyingSee the most recommended 8X42 binoculars models in our thorough review and buying guide. Choose your optics wisely.
- What are the Top-Rated Spotting Scopes for Hunting Elk? ReviewsWhich spotting scope will give you the best view while elk hunting without punishing your back or draining your pockets? Read our reviews and buying tips to find out!
- A Review of the Top Spotting Scopes for Mountain Hunting + Buying GuideYou can't take just any old spotting scope mountain hunting. We review the top optics for hunters in a range of prices and provide a guide to buying the best one.
- Best American Made Binoculars: Which US Brands Assemble Them in the States?Are there any binoculars manufacturers that still produce their optics in the USA? Fortunately, yes. We've looked around and found them. Read the article to find out more.
- Choosing the Best Spotting Scope for $400 Or LessWe look at and compare some of the best spotting scopes available for less than $400. Read our reviews and quick bullet-point guide to figure out which scope is the best one for you.
- A Review of Gosky Binoculars: Quality, Features, UsabilityGosky has certainly risen to fame for their affordable optics. How good are their binoculars? We review the most popular models and provide an overview of everything you need to know when buying binos.
- Choosing the Best Close-Focus Binoculars for Watching Butterflies and Other InsectsFew binoculars are suitable for watching insects and other small things up close. We review the top binoculars on the market for this job and provide a guide to choosing optics for this job.
- What are the Best Binoculars for Backpacking: Reviews and TipsDon't make the mistake of buying just any binos for backpacking - there are several tradeoffs and things to be aware of. We cover everything you need to know and recommend the top products on the market in different price ranges.
- Choosing Image Stabilization Binoculars for Boating, Sailing, Fishing and Other Marine Use: Reviews and Buying GuideWe cover everything you need to know about choosing stabilized binoculars for use on a boat and review the top models best suitable for the job. Read before making a decision.
- Best Image Stabilized BinocularsIn this section we cover everything that pertains to image stabilization binoculars: buying guides for particular purposes, how they work, how to choose them, and we also cover the most prominent IS binoculars models on the market.
- Choosing a Spotting Scope for 200 to 300 Yards DistanceIf you need to spot targets or game at about 200 or 300 yards out, you'll need a decent spotting scope for the job. Let's see the main points to consider and look at some of the best products on the market.
- Buying a Rangefinder Spotting Scope - What Are Your OptionsWe go through the actual options you have when trying to buy a spotting scope with a rangefinder - there are several solutions to the issue. Read this guide before jumping to any conclusions.
- How to Buy the Best Binoculars for Use With One Eye OnlyRead our guide and reviews to get yourself the best one-eye binos for your purposes and your budget. We review the options available and discuss some of the top products on the market today.
- Alpen Optics Binoculars Reviewed + Buying GuideAlpen Optics makes some very nice optics for all purposes - we review their main binoculars models and offer a guide to buying the best bino for your needs.
- Review of Steiner's Military/Marine 8X30 BinocularsSteiner's optics are world-renowned, but of course, not all binoculars are created equal. We review the popular Military-Marine 8x30 model by Steiner and investigate its features, strengths and weaknesses.
- Wingspan Optics Spectator 8X32 Binoculars ReviewIn this article, we take a good look at the Spectator binos from Wingspan, and look at their features, pros and cons, plus some alternative products to consider.
- Review of Maven B1 Binoculars SeriesB1 is one of the most general-purpose binocular models from Maven. Let's have a look at the features and different aspects of this series.
- A Review of the Amazing Kowa TSN-880 Series Spotting ScopesBefore spending a huge amount of money on new optics, read our review of the TSN-883 and TSN-884 spotting scopes from Kowa. How good are they? Are they worth the money? Are there alternatives?