If you love the outside world with its nature, animals, and all that it entails then you know why it is important to find the right binoculars. It is true that the world has made many strides in terms of technology thus; there are many latest gadgets with a myriad of features to suit your needs. Nonetheless, finding the right binoculars that will serve your needs as an outdoor fan is a daunting challenge.
In this review, we’re going to discuss some of the best binoculars that have the best close focus distance combined with other great features like magnification, field of view, and many more to make the perfect binoculars for you. In the end, you will find the right binoculars that will cater to both your enthusiasm and budget needs.
- Carson JR Series Full-Sized Waterproof 10x42mm Binoculars
This is the newest version of the Carson JR Series. It is instrumental when it comes to hunting, bird watching, concerts, safaris, sporting events, and outdoor adventures. Carson JR 10x42mm Series Binocular has a powerful magnification that brings objects ten times closer to your eyes with clarity and contrast while still displaying color without distortion. The lenses are multi-coated. It has an ergonomic design with durable materials that make it able to withstand harsh conditions.
It has a Nitrogen purged body and is O-ring sealed which guarantees that no fog, dew or even water can penetrate into the binoculars. It has a field of view of 306ft at 1000 yards and a 17mm eye relief. A significant feature of this gadget is its close focus distance which is 6ft equivalent to 1.8meters. Weighing just 1.4lbs, this is the ideal binocular to carry around without worrying about getting tired. The gadget is tripod-adaptable for users who would like a still image.
The binoculars measure 5.0 by 6.0 by 2.0 inches (LxWxH). It has an ergonomic and sleek design with eyecups that are designed with the ability to rotate in 3 different positions.
- Light in weight with just 1.4 lbs.
- It’s Nitrogen purged body makes it waterproof, fog proof thus suitable for any weather condition.
- Compact size.
- Rubber material makes it easy for firm gripping.
- The carrying case, as well as the neck strap, makes transporting and carrying the binoculars around easy.
- Relatively cheap
- Carson promises to replace the binoculars in the event that the company will not be able to repair a faulty binocular.
- The lens covers are too small thus susceptible to falling off easily.
Why you need a binocular?
Do you ask whether it is essential to have a binocular? The answer to that question is yes. For instance, if you travel a lot, enjoy activities such as birding or attending operas, hunting or sailing a pair of binoculars would make your experience much more exhilarating as it brings you up-close to the action. What is more is that modern binoculars are incredibly affordable. Depending on your budget, there is a myriad of choices to choose from.
Types of Binoculars
Roof Prism Binoculars
These types of binoculars the distinctive feature is that both the eyepiece and the lens that is called the objective lens are in the same line. They come in the shape of an ‘H.’
Porro Prism Binoculars
Binoculars of the Porro prism use prisms in a Z-shaped configuration to make the image upright. As opposed to the Roof Prism Binoculars, the Porro Prism Binoculars comes with an eyepiece that does not line with the objective lens. They are larger in size and are easy to make.
What To Look For When Buying A Binocular
When you are out to buy your gadget, you should consider many things including;
This is the closest distance that a pair of binoculars can focus on. The shorter the close focus distance, the more one can focus on details that are typically not visible to the naked eye.
Of course, this is the first thing you should ask yourself. Does the price of this binocular fit with my current budget? It is always wise to find something that will give you value for your money.
Look at things like 6×50, 8×42, etc. which means that the first number represents the times an object you are viewing will appear closer than it would actually be if you were using the naked eye. The bigger the number is the closer the view.
Field of View
This is a fundamental feature. If a binocular says it has a field of view of 350ft at 1000yards, it means that you will have a width view of 350ft from a distance of 1000yards.
Other things to put into consideration are the size and weight of the binocular. This is true especially if you travel a lot. It wouldn’t be ideal to carry around a bulky gadget on your neck or pocket.
Is the binocular waterproof? Is it suitable to use in harsh weather conditions? Binoculars are majorly outdoor tools. Therefore, it is crucial to ensure they are best suited to work in the area you intend to use them.
- Pentax 8.5×21 Papilio U-Series Binocular
Pentax 8.5x21mm U-Series comes with multi-coated optics that ensure you have the highest viewing quality. To minimize internal glare, every part of this binocular is fully coated. The manufacturer created a unique body, the Uni-body that enables the locking of the objective lenses in one housing thus making it easy to synchronize eyepiece movement.
It has a close focus of 1.6ft or 0.5meters making it ideal for birders and anyone looking to observe animals like insects, butterflies, or ants up-close. Its spherical lens provides a cutting-edge view.
- Comes with rubber eyecups to safeguard the lens.
- To help in the carrying around, the Pentax 8.5×21 Papilio U-Series has a neck strap and a carrying case.
- Ideal for short distance viewing.
- The uni-body minimizes movement thus preventing unnecessary damage.
- Easy to carry around due to low weight and small size features.
- It is available in a variety of colors
- Produces high-quality images that are clear and bright.
- Has a close focus of 1.6feet
- Not tripod-adaptable.
- In some devices, a prism from the eyepiece might come off after years of use.
- Pentax Papilio II 6.5×21 Gray Binocular
It is a Porro Prism type of binocular with a relatively cheap price tag on it. The fully coated optics give the binoculars maximum transmission of light thus giving the user high-quality viewing experience with images that are bright, clear and crisp. With a close focus range of 19.2inches to infinity, having this gadget is like having a microscope with you!
For durability, the Pentax Papilio II 6.5×21 has a Uni-body. The body encloses all-important features in a hard body that will not allow any harm to the binocular thus making it a gadget that you can use for many years without worrying about damage.
- It is light at only 10.4 ounces.
- The price is pocket-friendly.
- It is ideal for close viewing (as close as 50 centimeters).
- Some users say that this is an excellent ‘microscope’ thanks to its close viewing that give very detailed views including color and sharpness.
- Because of its close view focus, there is minimal shaking.
- It is not suitable for long-distance viewing.
- This particular binocular has one color, gray.
- Wingspan Optics HD 8×32 Feather View Compact Birding Binoculars
According to the manufacturer, Wingspan Optics HD 8×32 is specifically designed for birders, but it can also be used for a multitude of other activities. The 8x magnification shows that you have the ability to view your object eight times closer than it really is. It has a field view of 414ft at 1000yards
The device’s close focus view is also enhanced as it stands at 5ft or 1.5 meters. With it, it is possible for users to unlock the image’s full-color spectrum. It has a high resolution. In fact, it is one of the clearest binoculars in the market as all the images users view are HD. It is a compact binocular that is easy to carry around.
- Power – 8x.
- Objective Lens Diameter – 32mm.
- Prism Type- Bak-4 Roof.
- Close Focusing Distance – 1.5m.
- Phase Coated – yes
- Exit Pupil Distance – 15.3mm.
- Lens Coating – Fully Multi-Coated.
- Field Of View – 414 Ft/1000yards.
- Dimensions – 5 X 4.75 X 1.5 Inches (LxWxH).
- Weight: 1.4 Lbs.
- It is water and fog proof.
- Designed bird watching, offering a more comprehensive view.
- Has a lens protective cover and a carrying case made of nylon.
- Comes with non-abrasive lens cleaning cloth thus allowing you to have a clear view of the object whenever you are viewing.
- Clear and crisp images
- Pocket-friendly price
- Comes in multiple colors
- They are a bit heavy
- Long distance images are not clear
- Wingspan Optics HD 8×42 NatureSight Bird Watching Binoculars
This gadget has all the features that would enhance a birder’s experience. With a magnification of 8x, Wingspan Optics HD 8×42 NatureSight will give users a larger, closer, clear view of the object. What is more is that the binocular come with a fully multi-coated lens. Note that the lens is at 42mm, which means that it produces images with high color rendition. It has a wider field view of 430ft at 1,000yards.
Wingspan Optics HD 8×42 NatureSight’s whole body is coated with Nitrogen seal. This ensures the binocular is adequately protected from water, snow, fog, mold, dew, and any other harsh climatic condition that is likely to cause the binoculars’ general body harm. It has a close focus distance of 2meters.
- Power- 8x.
- Focus system – Roof or Bak4.
- Object lens diameter – 42mm.
- Exit pupil dist – 17.2.
- Exit pupil diameter – 5.25.
- Minimum focal length – 2m.
- Interpupillary dist – 56mm to 75mm.
- Diopter system – center wheel/right eye.
- Weight – 1.6 lbs.
- Dimensions – 5.75 by 5 by 2 inches.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty!
- Magnificent color rendition.
- Produces very clear images.
- It is very comfortable carrying it around.
- The lens protection gear does not flip over or drop once you open it.
- No fear of using it outside thanks to a fully waterproof body.
- They tend to be heavy
- The edges all around the two tubes are soft thus reducing the gadget’s field of view
- Carl Zeiss Zeiss 8×25 Compact Terra ED Binocular
This binocular comes with a field view of 390ft at 1000yards with a magnification of 8x. It is built to be water and fog proof making it suitable for activities such as sailing and any other that involves harsh conditions. It produces excellent, clear and sharp images in all light conditions as it has hydrophobic multi-coating and maximum optical precision.
Focusing on an object or action is made easy by the positioning of the focusing wheel in a strategic position that makes it easy to hold the binoculars. It is very light and provides an option of folding it to make it more compact and easy to carry around.
- It is super light at only 310 grams.
- It is waterproof.
- Gives quality color and outstanding images.
- Comes with perfect carriage and handling specs.
- Comes with a 2-year warranty.
- It is very cheap considering what the service this binocular provides.
- Not good at hunting and astronomy.
- Diopter adjustment does not come with a safety lock.
- The positioning of the diopter adjustment is bad. It is very easy for users to move it by accident.
The gadgets listed above have excellent features and are all aimed at attaining that amazing experience while birding, hunting, sailing, etc. It is your decision about the type you will buy. Whichever the choice you make, any of them would be a good fit for your needs.