Binoculars are a highly versatile tool that let you see things closer and be able to discern a lot more detail than you would be able to using only the naked eye.
Their distinguishing feature are that they have two barrels, one for each eye, unlike telescopes, spotting scopes etc. This allows one to use both eyes while looking through, which feels natural and also provides stereoscopic vision. This in turn means that you get some depth perception and your brain has more visual information to work with.
Most binoculars are highly portable, some will even fit in your pocket. You can use them by simply holding them in your hands. There are some specialized binoculars though, that are just too big or have too powerful magnification, and have to be supported on something like a tripod.
Though fundamentally all binoculars are the same – they have lenses that magnify the image, prisms that turn the image upright and eyepieces which beam the image into your eyes – the price range is huge. It goes from $10 kids’ binos all the way to $3000+ professional top of the line items from elite optics brands.
Different shapes and sizes, as well as extra features, also make different models suitable for different tasks. For example, although you can use cheap compact binoculars while out at sea on a boat, you’ll be much better off with a professional marine product.
In this category, we review different binoculars by application, by brand and by features to help you find the best product choices for your particular circumstances.
- Buying Binoculars with Compass - Guide and ReviewsCompass binoculars are a fantastic tool whether you’re hunting or out on the water. When shopping for binoculars with compass, it is important to consider the product features to ensure they fit your needs. Hunting binoculars will require a different...
- Camo BinocularsOther than the camouflage pattern, what makes great camo binoculars? Is it a compact folding size, a waterproof sealed body, a comfortable grip? Yes, but there's more to it. In the review below, you will find features to look for...
- How to Buy Great Binoculars for Nature, Wildlife Viewing and BirdwatchingImagine yourself in the middle of your wildlife tour. The nature is amazing, the views are breathtaking, and the wildlife is… ... SO FAR AWAY. To not make this bad dream come true, let's dive right into all you need...
- Top Waterproof Binoculars: Buying Guide and ReviewsWhether you’re heading out in search of wild birds or setting off on the water, you need to know your binoculars are protected against the elements. Waterproof, fog proof, slip resistant. All these features will enable you to focus on...
- Pocket Binoculars: Quick & Simple Buying GuideLet me say this outright: even the best pocket binoculars cannot compete with full-sized models in terms of optical quality. A pocket-sized binocular is inevitably a compromise. So if you want a pair of binos that fit into your pocket, but...
- Best Binoculars for Hiking: A Helpful Buyer's GuideDurable hiking gear? Check. ✓ Watertight hiking boots? Check. ✓ Snacks? Check. ✓ Binoculars? …Oops! If you are a seasoned hiking enthusiast, you know how frustrating it is not to be able to enjoy the view to the fullest. Next...
- Rangefinder Binoculars - How to Make the Right Choice, The First TimeRangefinder binoculars is a purchase you don't want to mess up. They're expensive! And if you are a passionate hunter or a range shooter, rangefinder binoculars will be one of the most useful tools in your gear bag. Who on earth wouldn’t...
- Athlon Optics Binoculars: Review for 2018We analyse the line-up of binoculars by Athlon Optics and review all their various aspects. In this article, we also provide some tips for buying the best binocular for your purpose.
- Reviews of the Best 8X42 Binoculars on the Market / Tips for BuyingSee the most recommended 8X42 binoculars models in our thorough review and buying guide. Choose your optics wisely.
- Best American Made Binoculars: Which US Brands Assemble Them in the States?Are there any binoculars manufacturers that still produce their optics in the USA? Fortunately, yes. We've looked around and found them. Read the article to find out more.
- A Review of Gosky Binoculars: Quality, Features, UsabilityGosky has certainly risen to fame for their affordable optics. How good are their binoculars? We review the most popular models and provide an overview of everything you need to know when buying binos.
- Choosing the Best Close-Focus Binoculars for Watching Butterflies and Other InsectsFew binoculars are suitable for watching insects and other small things up close. We review the top binoculars on the market for this job and provide a guide to choosing optics for this job.
- Best Backpacking BinocularsThe best backpacking binoculars are lightweight compact binoculars with high quality optics. We review the best compact binoculars for hiking, camping, birding and backpacking, for a reasonable price. See our buying guide, binocular reviews and top picks.
- Choosing Image Stabilization Binoculars for Boating, Sailing, Fishing and Other Marine Use: Reviews and Buying GuideWe cover everything you need to know about choosing stabilized binoculars for use on a boat and review the top models best suitable for the job. Read before making a decision.
- Best Image Stabilized BinocularsIn this section we cover everything that pertains to image stabilization binoculars: buying guides for particular purposes, how they work, how to choose them, and we also cover the most prominent IS binoculars models on the market.
- How to Buy the Best Binoculars for Use With One Eye OnlyRead our guide and reviews to get yourself the best one-eye binos for your purposes and your budget. We review the options available and discuss some of the top products on the market today.
- Alpen Optics Binoculars Reviewed + Buying GuideAlpen Optics makes some very nice optics for all purposes - we review their main binoculars models and offer a guide to buying the best bino for your needs.
- Review of Steiner's Military/Marine 8X30 BinocularsSteiner's optics are world-renowned, but of course, not all binoculars are created equal. We review the popular Military-Marine 8x30 model by Steiner and investigate its features, strengths and weaknesses.
- Wingspan Optics Spectator 8X32 Binoculars ReviewIn this article, we take a good look at the Spectator binos from Wingspan, and look at their features, pros and cons, plus some alternative products to consider.
- Review of Maven B1 Binoculars SeriesB1 is one of the most general-purpose binocular models from Maven. Let's have a look at the features and different aspects of this series.
- What are the Top Marine Binoculars - Best Products Reviewed Picking great marine binoculars is not easy: read our guide and reviews before buying! We look at both the process of choosing as well as the top-most picks in the category.
- High Powered Binoculars - Reviewed for 2018Read our reviews of the best high powered binoculars for long distance viewing. The buying guide will help you make the best choice.
- Best Binoculars: Full Guide and ReviewsRead our guide to choosing and buying the best binoculars on the market. There are many options to choose from - we break down the selection process and make it easy to make a good buying decision.