10×42 binoculars are one of the most versatile binocular sizes for any viewing activity, be it birding, wildlife tracking, watching sports, hiking, or even fishing. Depending on how serious you are about your endeavor, you will have have to weigh the price of the optics you are buying against the features and the benefits that they will provide you with. The quality of any bino mostly depends on the brand that manufactured them and the price because design, technology used and material play a crucial role in the overall performance of a pair of binoculars.
Below I’ll shed some light on some of the key features you should look for when you are seeking to buy a pair of 10×42’s. I will also share with you some of the best 10X42 binoculars models on the market today.
But first, in case you’re not that interested in all the details and would like a quick recommendation, here’s one product you should definitely check out:
The reason I’m recommending the Monarch 7 from Nikon is because it’s a upper mid-range product with a solid reputation. It has been used by thousands of people for birding, hunting and other outdoors activities and the overall feedback for these glasses is outstanding. Nikon is well known in the optics world and this is one of their most successful binoculars.
As expected at this price range, these binos have ED glass and superb lens coatings for bright, high-contrast images. The body has a solid design with rubber armor protection. The Monarch 7 is very much a binocular for outdoor adventures – it is well protected and completely sealed from moisture.
In terms of price and quality, this model sits at just the right spot for many people. The quality you get is significantly better than any items in the lower mid-range and far surpasses any budget options. People whose profession is reliant on the best optics possible, such as ornithologists, may opt for something more expensive, but most people won’t want to shell out several thousand dollars for a binocular. In this sense, the Monarch 7 hits the sweet spot.
Do have a look at the reviews at Amazon – they’re by real people and reflect the real life usability and performance very well.
Binocular Buying Guide
Let’s now look at some factors that are important to consider when purchasing binoculars.
Why would one want a 10X42 binocular?
Hunters, birders, wildlife observers, professional photographers and many others use binoculars in their work and hobbies – this small tool is magically useful in many fields. For this reason, a wide diversity of binoculars exist on the market with different features, setups and target audiences, but the 10 x 42mm configuration is definitely one of the most preferred by most users, possibly competing only with the 8×42.
What makes 10×42 a very versatile configuration?
10x is considered a fairly high magnification for a binocular. It allows you to get a view of distant objects and capture more details than with lower power binos. At the same time, 10x is not so high that you wouldn’t be able to hold it steady to get a clear view, and the field of view is large enough that you can effectively use them for scanning the landscape and tracking larger objects.
The 42mm wide objective lens works great in the field including in dimmer light. If it’s rainy, or dark, this lens will give you a much brigher image than say 32mm.
Now, the versatility of this type does not come only from magnification and objective lens size, a major factor is also their relatively compact size which makes these binos comfortable to hold in hand and easy to keep them stable and get a good image.
Most of these products have additional features to guarantee the comfort of use and longevity such as adjustable eyecups, lightweight material, smooth focus knobs. For all the reasons cited above, most people enjoy the way 10 x 42 binoculars fulfill their expectations without any struggle.
What features to look for in 10X42 binoculars?
Every hunter, stargazer, birder wants to get the best quality from their product. That’s why they look for perfect features to fit their needs. Some seek magnification, while others want brightness and clarity and some others care more about the field of view. However, I will try to talk about these features in a way that makes them work together harmoniously.
Magnification in binoculars usually ranges between 2X to 20X and you will find both types: fixed and variable magnification. The most recommended factors for general use is the fixed 8x or 10x – this is sort of a sweet spot that makes the optics suitable for most applications.
Users prefer 10x because of its versatility and convenience: such a configuration will give you a stunning view of game as well as details from the large FOV. If this is what you are looking for, then go for it.
Objective lens size
This feature is responsible for the quantity of light that gets inside the binoculars through the objective lenses. The wider the lens, the brighter the image. 42mm wide lenses will give the most stunning optical performance with the clearest images and good resolution without making the product too big to carry around.
Field Of View
In addition to adequate magnification and wide lenses, the field of view is also a major feature in binoculars. Before purchasing a product, hunters and even passionate users make sure that the FOV is the highest they can get because this parameter defines the wideness of your view and how much of the scene you can see.
If you are a birder and you do not want to miss that tiny tropical bird while it is in flight, or a hunter and you want to scan the area looking for game who might be obscured by foliage, then a wide field of view is highly recommended.
Generally, professionals go for a FOV wider than 300 ft at 1000 yards, but the wider the better.
How price usually affects quality
Like any other product, price defines whether your binoculars are of high quality or not. There is a very wide range of prices in binoculars that go from $10 at the local department store to a couple of thousand dollars. Therefore, choosing exactly what you need based on your budget needs some serious time and information.
Budget binoculars are considered toys by professional users since they do not fulfill their expectations due to their lack of quality and durability, mid-range products are better, you can get a good pair for a hundred or two and then high –end products are always the best: they guarantee quality, performance, convenience, versatility and durability.
Go for a reasonable price because the difference between a $500 binocular and a $1000+ one is just the quality of glass and the precision of its construction – this difference becomes important only if you have significant experience in this field.
Weight, size and portability
To make it a versatile tool that will be there around your neck when you need it and not on the shelf at home, a binocular needs to have a fairly compact size and be lightweight. Holding more than 2 pounds / 1 kg in your hands or around your neck by a neck strap is not comfortable at all and you will end up hating your product. For this reason, manufacturers compete to provide the most comfortable size and weight for their binoculars without losing quality.
It is strongly advised to purchase a product which weighs no more than 800 grams and make sure that you have a carrying case and a neck strap.
Best Products on the Market for the Money: 10X42 Binoculars Reviews
Equipped with the above knowledge, let’s go through and review some of the best 10X42 binoculars you should consider when looking for the perfect tool for your purpose and budget. We’ll start with higher end ones and go down from there.
Swarovski always comes up with amazing innovations and leads the market with its products. This time with the EL 10X42, you will be hard-pressed to find such quality embedded in a simpler design. This model has it all: from the quality of every piece of optics, to the material, the sealing, the construction…
If you are looking for perfection and you do not mind spending a fortune, this product is for you. It will give you goosebumps once you try it in the field. Expect zero defects. Swarovski has employed a whole number of proprietary technologies in designing this piece of equipment, such as SWAROVISION, SWAROBRIGHT and SWAROCLEAN.
- Exclusive Swarovski trademark HD optics fluoride lenses which fully eliminate chromatic aberrations and guarantee perfect contrast and resolution.
- Wrap-around grip that allows the user to hold the binocular totally stable enabling them to get the best view and focus.
- Sharp and fast focus thanks to the high-end focusing system.
- Comfortable size and weight (weighs slightly more than 800 grams).
- Water and fog proof.
- Comes with all the additional necessary pieces such as eyepiece and objective lens covers and a neck strap.
- At this price range, you wouldn’t expect any cons really, other than the price itself, of course – with few competitors, these are possibly the best 10X42 binoculars out there.
Vortex is a hugely successful manufacturer in the field of optics and that includes binoculars. Many hunters and birders enjoy using Vortex binoculars and prefer their products over many high-end brands.
The Razor HD comes with a 10X42 configuration with great optics at a high magnification (10X) without any decrease in quality or color fringing.
- Prime coatings that improve light transmission even in dim light situations and guarantee a spectacular resolution.
- Very usable in tough weather conditions.
- Amazing close focus range (6 feet / 1.8m).
- Water and fog proof
- Comfortable size (weighs around 700grams).
- Really good optics for the price
- A few users have questioned the quality of this product compared to some top European brands.
- Produced in China – does not in itself mean there are any problems with them, but some users prefer to avoid products with this label
This upper mid-range product is also an interesting choice for those who need to go a bit lower with their budget. It has the same 10×42 configuration and great features that conserve quality.
This bino is light (under 25 oz), durable and has excellent optics for the price. Great for hunters, birders and other people who spend lots of time in the wilderness.
- Dielectric, multilayer prism coatings for better light transmission as well as the anti-reflective glass for good contrast and less chromatic aberration.
- Rubber armored body to ensure comfort and durability
- Compact size (700 grams).
- Water and fog proof.
- Made in China – doesn’t mean anything in terms of quality, but some people prefer to avoid this label.
- Some users have found that the focusing ring on the right eye is not smooth enough which makes it hard to get the perfect focus.
This product here is a 10X42 binocular but with a different aspect that gets it ahead of its competition: the Image stabilization system. Canon is well-known for making image stabilized camera lenses and uses that same technology here. The stabilizer is able to cut out the vibrations caused by shaky hands, wind or other inadvertent movement. It is most useful in marine activities because of the steadiness it provides with a simple click. But keep in mind – the more stable the image, the more detail your eyes will be able to discern, so having IS capabilities is a bit like having extra magnification without losing field of view.
The optics used on the Canon 10X42 L IS are also of high quality since Canon is a leader in the field of optics and will always meet its customer expectations. Interestingly, despite all the electronics, this bino is actually waterproof.
- Image stabilizer for shake-free view and perfect precision.
- Ultra-low dispersion glass to reduce chromatic aberration and color fringing
- Works well in lower light conditions
- Water and fog proof.
- Size and weight not really comfortable for long use (weighs 2.45 lbs / 1100 grams).
- The electronics in the image stabilization system may fail.
- The ergonomics aren’t too good compared to regular binos.
If you’re looking a more budget friendly solution, then this Bushnell model is very popular with outdoors enthusiasts. Bushnell is a reputable manufacturer and the Legend Ultra HD is one of their most successful models. While it is obviously a cheaper product than all the others at the range of 10X42, it still provide outstanding optical performance for its price point.
- ED prime glass that guarantees a great resolution with minimal or no chromatic aberration.
- Excellent quality for the price.
- Water repellent coatings – water and fog proof
- Light weight (only 600 grams)
- Long eye-relief, useful for eye glass wearers
- The package includes a soft case and a neck strap
- Some people have found the material to not be very durable
- Others have had issues with the alignment of lenses which leads to bad focusing between both eyes
To sum up, all the products cited above are of high quality and made by reputable manufacturers, but there are many other 10X42 binoculars reviews that you could check before landing on your final decision. The 10×42 configuration is very versatile and convenient so if you are looking for a good pair of binos at this class, dig deep into reviews and check every detail about the product to make sure that your experience will be the best.
- 3 Simple Reasons 10-by-42 Binoculars are an Excellent ChoiceYou might be wondering if 10x42's are the right binoculars for you. Let's have a look at what makes the 10x42 such a popular choice.
- What are the Best 10x42 Binoculars for AstronomyBinoculars have a special place in the amateur astronomer's arsenal: they are light and can be used to easily scan the sky. Here's how to choose the best 10x42mm binos for your night-sky sessions.
- Best Brands for Mid-Sized Binoculars10x42 binoculars are some of the most universal tools out there. Have a look at which brands make the top 10x42 binos to consider buying.
- Best 10X42 Binoculars for Birding: Full GuideSee our detailed buying guide and reviews for the best 10x42mm binoculars for birding - a must-read before making a purchasing decision.
- Best 10X42 Binoculars for Hunting Reviewed for 2018We review the top 10x42mm hunting binoculars on the market and discuss which features and details you should pay attention to when making a buying decision.
- Things That You Can Do with Good BinocularsFind out about the most common uses and application for high quality 10x42 binoculars.