There are many different kinds of binoculars on the market today and there is a huge number of brands offering a very wide selection of products.
It’s not always obvious how exactly to evaluate a binocular against another one. It depends a lot on the desired application and on your budget.
Most ratings and reviews are highly price-dependent. By this I mean that if you read customer reviews for different binoculars models, you’ll notice that very often a $30 product will have thousands of user reviews with a really high average rating, such as 4.5, for example. At the same time, another model, costing $500, might have a rating of 4.3. Does that mean that the $30 product is actually better than the $500 one?
Absolutely not. This merely means that for its price, the cheap option is pretty good and satisfies the needs of the people who bought it. The reality is that a person who buys cheap optics is probably not an optics expert, and needs the instrument only occasionally. When reviewing their purchase, they just know that it fits their purpose and rarely have anything to compare it with. Typically, a product at this price point will have low quality optics, meaning dimmer image with some distortion and color fringing. It will tend to be relatively big and clunky, won’t be water- or fogproof (something that may become quite obvious when used out in nature), and have a low quality build.
Despite the slightly lower rating, a binocular that costs $500 and has an average rating of 4.3, is very likely an amazing device which will be comfortable to use, be sturdy and well-protected and will produce stunning bright images with zero distortion or color anomalies. In the optics world, price does matter. As far as quality goes, there’s really no comparison between low-end models and mid-range or high-end models.
This section of the website is dedicated to reviewing binoculars from different brands and presenting the information in an easy-to-understand manner to our readers. We hope these guides will help you make better purchasing decisions when it comes to the fairly sophisticated world of optics.
- Alpen Optics Binoculars Reviewed + Buying GuideAlpen Optics makes some very nice optics for all purposes - we review their main binoculars models and offer a guide to buying the best bino for your needs.
- Review of Steiner's Military/Marine 8X30 BinocularsSteiner's optics are world-renowned, but of course, not all binoculars are created equal. We review the popular Military-Marine 8x30 model by Steiner and investigate its features, strengths and weaknesses.
- Wingspan Optics Spectator 8X32 Binoculars ReviewIn this article, we take a good look at the Spectator binos from Wingspan, and look at their features, pros and cons, plus some alternative products to consider.
- Review of Maven B1 Binoculars SeriesB1 is one of the most general-purpose binocular models from Maven. Let's have a look at the features and different aspects of this series.
- Steiner 210 MM1050 Military-Marine 10X50 Tactical Binocular ReviewThis is one of Steiner's most popular products, but how good is it. Is it worth actually buying? Read this review as we dive into the details.
- A Detailed Steiner Marine Binoculars Review - Are they good?We review the Steiner 7x50 Marine bino in detail - read this if you're out looking for a good boating binocular and have a hard time making a choice.
- Reviewed: Maven C2 Binoculars - A Great Compact Bino?Read our review of the Maven C2 - a compact binocular for every application. We look at the the features and the variations currently available on the market.
- Wingspan Optics NaturePro 8x42 Binoculars Review - 2018Let's have a good look at NaturePro 8x42 by Wingspan - how good are they for birding and other activities?
- Wingspan Optics WideViews HD 8X42 Review for 2018One of the most popular birding binoculars on the market - the WideViews by Wingspan - is definitely worth having a look at. Let's dive in.
- Steiner Binoculars Review for 2018In this article, we review some of the most popular binocular models by Steiner - a well-known manufacturer of durable high-quality optics.
- A Review of Wingspan BinocularsWingspan makes some of the most popular and affordable binoculars for birders. Read our overview and detailed reviews of their most prominent models.
- Maven B3 Binoculars ReviewThe Maven B3 is an excellent high-end compact binocular for the price of a mid-range one. Read our detailed review to find out if it's the right choice for you.
- Maven C1 Binoculars ReviewedA good look at the Maven C1 binoculars, including the 8x42 and the 10x42 variant. Read our review before buying.
- Review of Maven B2 BinocularsIn this review, we look in depth at the amazing and somewhat unusual B2 binocular from Maven.
- Review of Maven BinocularsRead our guide and reviews of Maven's best binoculars - awesome optics for hunters, birders and outdoors enthusiasts.